Friday, January 28, 2011

Rating "The State of the Union"

If I were giving points on delivery it certainly deserves a nine-and-a-half. The oratory was great and even had spots of humor.

On substance i would give it no more than a 7.

It sort of reminded me of the fantastic speeches Mario Cuomo used to give for a progressive agenda, but when push came to shove his agenda was watered down. He spoke Democrat , but pushed a moderate Republican agenda. That is if there is such a thing as a moderate Republican.

Obama's speech also reminded me of Mayor Bloomberg's speeches. Mayor Bloomberg talks middle class values then pushes an agenda that favors his Wall Street friends, his real rstate pals, and his insurance buddies, to name a few.

Based on performance up until now, I don't want to hear good speeches, I want to see good results. You should not go to the middle of the road at the expense of the progressives. The middle of the road is where the independents should go. You can win Independents' votes by having a sensible well thought out plan, and follow up. It may be possible to win the so called moderate Republican, if there are some.

I will still support Obama if there is no progressive who can win puts his hat in the ring. A "Conservative" like our previous president almost brought us to bankruptcy .

1 comment:

hariet said...

The Cranky Old Liberal is too generous. I would give him a 4. The biggest applause came when he stated he would lower corporate taxes. I couldn't believe my ears until I heard it again and again. He also emphasized that he would "get rid" of ineffective teachers, as if that would solve all of our educational problems. How about lowering registers, upsdating school buildings, providing clean and modern bathrooms, hiring supervisors who have substantial teaching experience?
No mention of gun control or climate change except for a small reference to clean energy which every president throws in and never comes to pass. No, I think a four is a bit generous, but the delivery was fine. He can play president in Hollywood anytime.